Monday, June 3, 2019

Washi Tape Birthday Cake Wrapping

I thought it would be fun (and easy) to do washi tape birthday cake decorations on the gift wrapping for my daughter's birthday presents. To give my giftwrapping a theme, I tried a number of slight variations.  So in honor of my daughter's birthday, here are four ways to do a washi tape birthday cake gift wrapping design! To make it ecofriendly, I committed to only using what I already had in the house.


List of things to gather up first:


  1.  Gift wrapping paper
  2.  Washi tape
  3. Card stock
  4. Fine point marker
  5. Scissors, straight edge
  6.  A picture or Pin to copy

How to do it:

At the risk of being obvious (hey, it took me a while to figure out!) the design is supposed to represent a birthday cake on a cake plate with burning candles. Start by drawing your cake plate where you want it on the card or wrapping (where the straight edge comes in.)   Then make your scallops for the plate edge and your cake stand legs or support. Cut three lengths of washi tape, each slightly smaller than the one before and stack your cake up. Then draw your candles with a flame.

Here were my efforts:

First try. I had a wide white washi tape, it looked too boring by itself, so I added some yellow tape and colored in the "flames" with a yellow marker.
Try #2. I used the washi tape rolls to trace the cake stand legs. As usual, whenever I try and write beautifully, my letters tend to grow. 
OK, now I was getting confident, and a little sloppily off center.
I had seen a version with a gift card taped to the present. I only had one piece of card stock, but I get bonus points for the little flames I cut out for the birthday candles.
So there you go, 4 variations on the washi tape birthday cake. Each one took only a few minutes to do, so it definitely qualified as fast and easy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, your comment will appear after review Thanks!